MacPorts to Homebrew : New Packaging system for Mac OS X

I just wanted to post a blog on Homebrew because, I started loving it already. Homebrew is the new modern package management system for Mac OS X wich beats MacPorts. Yah! Homebrew is faster.

Homebrew is a Packaging system for Mac OS X 10.5 and above; heavy optimisations, no redundant packages and a bonus beer theme.

Here how you can install Homebrew on your Mac:

I prefer installing homebrew in /usr/local directory.
sudo curl -L http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/tarball/master | sudo tar xz --strip 1 -C /usr/local

to avoid using sudo when installing packages, change the owner recursively on /usr/local directory
sudo chown -R `whoami` /usr/local
That’s it. Homebrew installed.

Now, Let’s install wget using homebrew
MacBook:~ abhinay$ brew install wget
==> Downloading http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/wget/wget-1.12.tar.bz2
File already downloaded and cached to /Users/abhinay/Library/Caches/Homebrew
==> ./configure --disable-debug --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/wget/1.12
==> make install
/usr/local/Cellar/wget/1.12: 9 files, 784K, built in 37 seconds

Really easy! isn’t it?

Have fun!

Note:
If you are facing problem because of MacPorts, try to uninstall it – Uninstall Instructions

and Do check out homebrew homepage on github: http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew

And one more thing, You should have xcode installed on your Mac – if already don’t have xcode, you can download from here – http://developer.apple.com/technology/xcode.html (Or you can install xcode from your second installation CD of Mac OS X)

Posted on Jan 2, 2010
Written byAbhinay Omkar

28 thoughts on “MacPorts to Homebrew : New Packaging system for Mac OS X”

1. Abhinay says:

You are too good man! Totally stole my thunder with the username ๐Ÿ˜› haha. carry on.

I stumbled on this blog, and I’m glad a fellow by my name is a linux buff. kudos.

2. Abhinay says:

@Abhinay ๐Ÿ˜›

Thanks.

3. Is there any place where I can see list of packages homebrew can install?
    Something like – http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=all

1. Abhinay says:

Hi Rahul, You can just type ‘brew search’ command or you can check all package formulas online here – http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/tree/master/Library/Formula/

Cheers,
      Abhinay

4. Rahul says:

Thanks Abhinay. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. chimcharu says:

I would like to exchange links with your site blog.abhiomkar.in
    Is this possible?

1. admin says:

exchange links? Sorry, I didn’t get you.
      What you are trying to do?

6. Lastobelus says:

what are the advantages of homebrew over macports?

1. Hi there, I believe that, Homebrew is much faster than MacPorts and Its community is very active.

7. Anonymous says:

how is this better than using macports “port install wget”

1. Potto007 says:

Because port install wget will have to build and install all the dependencies, all of which are already installed in OS X.

1. I’m sort of torn on that. Some of the versions of libraries, etc. in OS-X are out of date. But some of them automatically get security fixes, which is nice…so that you don’t have to stay up-to-date with homebrew and things will be safer than under MacPorts.

On the other hand, some of the OS-X libraries languish in obscurity and don’t get updated nearly enough, having versions so old that they are near useless or security bugs. *cough*libssl*cough*.

8. I notice there aren’t any descriptions for the packages/formulas. (BTW: The list of formulas should totally be called a formulary).

Also, it’s confusing when packages have multiple names. Examples: bzr and bazaar. A short description would be handy for understanding that these are the same packages. Though I do like that a search for the name and the search for the binary name both work.

Ciao!

9. Its to good above Mac OS X. I installed above widgets its working perfectly.

10. how can i install macports “port install wget”. please give me some idea for me

11. I also want to install this application. Can you please tell me how to install?

12. kOoLiNuS says:

Thanks for posting this man!

1. abhiomkar says:

You are welcome! ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Jamescarigmtts says:

ย I started loving it already.ย Homebrewย is the new modern package management system for Mac OS X wich beats MacPorts

14. virusena says:

Wow It’s great. I’m glad this blog. Really it’s gona be rocking. Thnx for sharing this information. ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Took a lot of time to read but I really found this very interesting and informative, thank you buddy for sharing

16. You blog are excellent written skills.Most of the people looking for this kind of valuable tips.

17. Suraj Sachdev says:

i get this error message:
    curl: (7) couldn’t connect to host

can you help?

18. Anonymous says:

It is important to choose right one since the first time. cheat mw3

19. Oh its really good the new packaging system I really liked it.